Saturday, May 2, 2009

Grown Up

Yesterday marked a milestone in our family. We moved our oldest daugter Kaley out of our house and into a house with friends in Jacksonville. She only decided to do it about a week ago so I didn't have much time to actually think about it. Then as she was packing on Thursday she would occasionally ask me if I was going to cry or be upset. I said no, because at that time I wasn't. She was actually planning to move out 6 months ago or so, but decided not to do it at that time. That's when I had started thinking about the possiblity and preparing myself for her to leave. When it came right down to it, I was so excited for her to be taking this next step in her life that I never took the time to get upset about the possibility of her actually leaving. I have said before that I am just so proud of the young woman that she has become and that this is just the next natural step for her.

So fast forward to yesterday. After we moved her in we went out to get some lunch with her, then of course we had to pull away. I was even ok then, until Pat said "how did this happen so fast?" That was it, that's all it took, then it was real, my first baby was gone, and the tears came like a flood. And Pat was right, how did this happen so fast, I can't believe 21 years has passed. Where has it gone? I am so thankful for every day we had to teach, and nurture, and love, and grow together. She is an awesome person and is going to do great on her own. Thankfully, she's only 25 minutes away and we do go to the same church so I'm sure the time between our visits won't be long, especially as she runs short on food and I'm cooking at home.

"Thank you God for children who love you and love me, and who by your grace are unbelievably awesome, faithful, Godly, responsible young adults. You gave them to me on loan and I have given them back to you for you to use for your Kingdom." Amen

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Glad it happened like it was supposed to.

mfleeman said...

ohhh, I have tears in my eyes - just reading it!m