Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Happy Birthday Colton

October 15, 1991


What a scene it was that day in the hospital!



I have a friend of many years who regularly on my children's birthdays calls me and asks what I was doing "x # of" years ago that day. Then we reminisce about the day they were born and how we can't believe they have gotten so old so fast. Well, today is Colton's day to remember. So, I will tell you the story of 17 years ago today. Colton was quite honestly, a surprise to us, but not to God. As you may or may not know, Jordyn and Colton are 10 months and 11 days apart, now you understand the surprise part. We were perfectly happy with our beautiful little girls and had put no real thought into having another baby, SURPRISE, God had another plan. When I found out I was pregnant with Colton, the doctor told me that my body was obviously not prepared to be pregnant again so fast and that is was likely I would not remain pregnant for long. As aniticipated, I started having problems and assumed I was losing him. But, God move in, and the problems moved out and much to the doctor's amazement, Colton arrived. It was a very fast labor and delivery, only about 2 hours, my doctor almost missed it. I went home from the hospital the very next day, that's when the real fun started. I now had a newborn, a 10 month old, and a 3 years old. I had dreaded that day for almost 9 months and had convinced myself I would never be able to handle it. Needless to say, the real experience could never have been as bad as I had convined myself, and we all survived it! If you ask the girls they would say they have barely survived, I think Colton's spiritual gift all these years has been pestering his sister, ha. I know they wouldn't trade him for anything in the world and he would do absolutely anything in the world for them. I am so thankful for Colton and the joy he has brought our family, God knew what He was doing! So, on this day 17 years ago, God gave me you, my baby boy. Thank you Lord for this awesome young man.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh boy....I just love that story! LOL....and I love that boy, and I must say, Kaley looks sooo ladylike!!

Mrs. Hatten said...

How sweet...you're making me well up with tears. What a beautiful story...thanks for sharing!

Nicole said...

Happy birthday Colton! I can certainly appreciate your story now that I'm a mom. Nice to know the memories stay with you all those years! And, with a 14 month of my own now, I can tell you I cannot imagine having a newborn right now--it had to be hard to handle! What a great mom you are!
Love,
Nicole

mfleeman said...

I finally got to your blog! Happy late birthday Colton. You are one super kid! I hope you had a great birthday. Look, Lisa you have survived 17 wonderful years with 3 children! Life wouldn't be the same without Colton - you are truly a gift to your family and all that know you.